I finally wrapped up the starboard side eyebrow trim, paring the plugs and coating each plug twice with Cetol. My slip neighbor had a box of teak plugs containing a number of different sizes and I was able to match the two remaining fastener holes with plugs from his collection. Thanks Frank!
Here the plugs are trimmed with a razor-sharp chisel. All you have to do is set the chisel at the base of the plug, leaving enough to sand flush, and touch the end of the chisel with a mallet. The top of the plug splits away cleanly.
Here it is sanded flush and coated twice with Cetal.
I also cleared Cay of Sea of all the stuff that should come off for winter storage ashore – bed linens, pillows, foodstuffs, liquid soap and shaving kits, sleeping bags – and schlepped it up to the house. I managed to choose the dock cart with a flat tire, but couldn’t tell, of course, until it was loaded. I used it anyway.
Bags of stuff to come ashore.
I left the by-products of oil changing (two seasons’ worth) on the galley counter so I would remember to empty them into recycled oil drum at the boat yard. There is also a special bin for old oil filters and absorbing pads.
Waste-oil products for disposal, and a gallon of pink stuff the last bit of winterizing after haulout.
I brought down the winter storage hatches from my shed and removed the the varnished drop boards and fore hatch for stowage below, out of the rain, ice and snow for the next four months. These old hatches still keep the weather out, but aren’t serviceable for daily use. They are ugly, broken, and worn, but can be left out in the weather without consequence.
These didn’t get their fall re-coat of varnish and now it’s too cold. They won’t suffer, though, being inside the boat. Next spring I need to strip and completely refinish the board with vents in it. Water has gotten under one side and begun to turn black.
I removed the headsail and its bag, which needs repairing over the cold months (the bag, that is). It’s old and the stitching is giving way. New stitching will put it good as new, though.
I also brought the dinghy gear ashore. I’ve been inspired lately by Dylan Winter’s video blog KeepTurningLeft that chronicles his love of small boats and his gradual, multi-seasonal circumnavigation of England and Scotland. He posts delicious, beautifully edited videos of his experiences in boats as large as a Westerly Centaur, and as small as a duck punt. So inspired by Dylan this winter, I’m going to sail Sea Minor on nice days as far as time and inclination allow.
I delivered Cay of Sea to the boat yard across the the creek today and left her beside the travel lift slip. She’ll wait patiently through the winter as I plan and execute another slate of maintenance and improvement projects. A tentative list includes servicing the prop shaft coupling, replacing cockpit drain hoses, inspecting/replacing any engine hoses that need it, neatening up the engine compartment, rebuilding raw water pump (it’s beginning to leak), replacing circulator (coolant) engine pump (it’s leaked ever since the engine was installed new!), re-bedding fasteners in cockpit sole.
Here she is waiting for high water to haul out for the winter.
This also may be the year that I open up the side decks and recore as necessary, which, of course, will occasion the beginning of repainting the deck. Repainting the deck will be a multi-year project, as I’ll just do sections at a time. I don’t want to have the boat out of commission for an entire season. So we’ll see how far I get next year. I still have a few projects I didn’t get to from last spring!