More Eye Brow Work

No, I’m not plucking. . .

I applied the second coat of Cetol to both sections of eye brow trim today. Before all the rain and wind last week, I scraped and sanded smooth the trim pieces, and applied the first coat of Cetol. I also deepened the plug holes with my drill press for closing up the screw holes with bungs. However, I had to buy a new plug cutter, because I have mislaid the one I already own. Oddly, this didn’t work well at all. The hardware store sold me a 3/8″plug cutter, and I duly deepened the 3/8″ holes to accommodate a longer plug. However, the diameter of the plugs cut by the new cutter turned out to be slightly small, and didn’t bind into the holes at all. I rechecked my drill bit, rechecked the plug cutter. . . all the sizes matched, but the plugs didn’t fit the holes. I wound up buying some 3/8″ teak plugs at West Marine, and they fit fine.

Today I also cleaned up the coach roof edge where they will be reinstalled. I’ve found that a product called “Goof Off” works really well for this, but as I was in the hardware store today buying a new bottle of it, it occurred to me that lighter fluid might be a similar product. I know several craftsmen who use it for cleaning purposes. Regardless, I came home with Goof Off.

Materials and tools for this task.

Once back on the boat, I used a rag saturated with Goof Off and wiped in on a 12-14 inch section, then took a putty knife and scraped the loosened bedding compound. This took off about 75 percent. I re-applied Goof Off, and scrubbed it with a 3-M pad, which almost always removed the rest of the material. This entire process took about a half hour to do the port side (rehabbed the starboard side last year). So it’s clean now, and ready for re-installation of the trim.

Close-up of the cleaned vs uncleaned area.

Just a longer view of the project area.

Finally, I began the spring Cetol re-coat of the other teak trim still installed in place. I actually got smart this time, and didn’t try to do all of it at once, there by avoiding bumping into sticky Cetol as I work my way around the deck.

 

Advertisements
10 comments
  1. Wow… eyebrows were bedded? Mine are just screwed on. I have pulled one and varnished it completely – even the back side – in an attempt to prevent water penetration. I’m glad you had enough teak remaining to be able to drill the plug holes deeper.

    Oh, and my plug cutters cut slightly tapered plugs – fat on the top and thinner down lower. I don’t know why this is, since the cutter is the same diameter all the way up, and the cutting is only done at the tip, but there it is.

    • I varnished the back of mine too, for the same reason, even though they were bedded, and I re-bedded them.

      I’m not sure I checked my self-cut plugs for a fat end. . . No, I tried both ends of several plugs. There’s something wrong with that cutter. Regardless, what I have now will work, so that’s fine.

      I don’t think I could deepen those screw holes again. This will be the last time for these trim pieces.

  2. Nice.

    For the record, I’ve done side-by-side testing, and Re-move is tops for silicone and Marine De-bond is best for polyurethane. Goof-Off was also tested, and it was not as effective. But I’m sure it is “best” for something too.

    • This the first time I’ve ever heard that a product actually removed silicone. Seems like folks would pay a lot money for that! I’ll check out those products. Thanks so much the tip.

      • I second Drew’s recommendation – I used ReMove.it on some tough silicone stuck on our Naugahyde headliner (Thanks Previous Owner!). It softened up the silicone to the point where I could easily scrape it off with my thumbnail, doing no damage at all to the Naugahyde.
        Great stuff, especially for a boat who’s Previous Owner smeared silicone over everything!

      • Great to know. I’ll get some. Thanks Drew and Bob.

  3. I’ve always felt exterior wood is just lovely… on other people’s boats. There are some lovely ones near where we dock in Deale.

    My interior is a balance of cloth, white gelcoat, and wood. Personally, I think any of these can be over powering and a fix is best.

    • I guess I’m pretty firmly entrenched in tradition. I like the way wood looks on a boat – inside and out. Once you find a system of care that works and fits your personal level of comfort, it’s not bad at all. I enjoy doing it, as well as looking at it.

  4. Chris said:

    Hello Folks,Very happy to say I have recently stumbled upon your blog. Well done, wealth of nice information. Thanks.

    I’m planning on taking the plunge today…..buying a Watkins 27….1981……impressed with quality, will make a dandy liveaboard/cruiser. I am on cape cod. I look forward to both going back and reading of your past wanderings and upgrades, as well as future endeavors aboard.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: