I spent an afternoon on the hull this week, sanding in preparation for new bottom paint. I quickly smoothed the entire port side and worked over the rudder. I’ve got a bit of epoxy to apply over some exposed bits of the stainless gudgeon that I replaced a few years ago. Occasionally some of the epoxy fairing compound will chip off and expose some of the gudgeon. It’s an easy process to recoat and fair.
I also picked up the new prop shaft from the machinist. He did an excellent job, and balanced my prop as part of the bargain.
The next photo shows a close-up of the old shaft where it passed through the stuffing box. I’m not sure you can see the pitting clearly. I’m confident that I’ll have better success adjusting the stuffing box now, since it won’t be constricting a shaft with an imperfect surface. I also feel a lot better about any accidental prop-line fouling. I’ve heard the stories of broken prop shafts. I think my old shaft was a prime candidate for such an event.