Finally. But. . . I’ve been out-of-town. The weather’s been uncooperative. I ran out of gas. The dog ate it. Well. . . chose the excuse you like best. Regardless, I got it almost complete today, and managed to clean the gutters and rake a lot of leaves too.
Truthfully, my initiative has sagged when all other factors were right. When I got going, it was a relatively easy task, except for cleaning up the caulk: I made my usual incredible mess with it.
I cleaned up the old caulk from the mounting area with a rag, Goof Off solvent (which smells suspiciously like toluene), and a putty knife. The Goof Off softened the old caulk, which allowed me to scrape it off. Then I wiped the residue with a solvent soaked rag, which finished the cleaning job.
I taped off the area to be caulked, then applied Boat Life polysulfide (mahogany/teak colored) caulk to the area. I set the screws into the trim before spreading the caulk so as to minimized time and opportunity for making an even bigger mess.
I ran into an unexpected issue. I had measured the fastener holes as 5/16, and deepened them slightly. I ordered a 5/16 plug cutter, but when I tried that sized plug in a fastener hole, it was too small. And 3/8 was too big. I re-milled all the holes to 3/8, and that worked out well, for the most part. These are old trim pieces that have been through 34 years of who-knows-what. So two of the holes were too big to really hold a plug. I’ll have to do something special with those, I guess. Regardless, I installed all the trim on the starboard side, and all but two plugs. I’ll leave them a couple of days to give the varnish/glue ample time to cure – we’re into the 30s and 40s overnight, and 50s during the day, so it may take a few days for the plugs to stick well. Then I’ll trim them and spot-Cetol the plugs.
I lightened these photos quite a bit, as it was drawing towards sunset when I finished. We had a real masterpiece this evening as the sun went down.