I’ve left you hanging with removed, ugly eyebrow trim for weeks now. I’ve just recently made progress with that, and thought I would post an update.
The trim is fairly beat up. It’s lopsided from being sanded on while mounted on the boat, there are splits and gouges. The longest piece split part-way when I removed it. While examining it, I managed to break it into two pieces. The fastener holes are too shallow to hold bungs, and half of them were missing anyway.
Yesterday inspected the pieces and began work. First order of business was to repair the broken piece.
The old finish comes off easily when using a scraper and heat gun. I had all the pieces clean, front and back, in about an hour.
I measured the fastener holes against various sized drill bits until I found the right one. A 5/16 drill bit was needed to deepen the holes. I used my drill press and set the travel limiter so as not to drill straight through the piece. Hopefully, the material will now hold bungs well for another 34 years.
After lightly sanding, I wiped all the pieces down with solvent and applied Cetol.
Meanwhile, we can still sail. Yesterday afternoon Ruth and I got off the pier for a couple of hours. Here are a few images.
It was a crystal clear evening, 60 degrees and a 10 knot breeze. We tied up at dusk, ready to settle in for the evening.