I’m finally to the place where paint can be applied. After going back and forth on what kind of paint, I settled on cheap one-part polyurethane from West Marine. I had a balance on a gift card, so it didn’t cost me too much. I was hoping to use an oil-based porch and deck paint, but these are not commonly available anymore. Oil-based paints are becoming scarcer and scarcer. A couple years ago I used an oil-based primer to coat the cockpit sole, and that would have worked, I think, but I was not confident about it’s longevity while constantly submersed, like the bottom of our dinghy will be from time to time. I used the half quart I had left over and painted the inside of the dink. I had just enough!
The SeaGloss one-part polyurethane seems okay. It’s thin as water, so it runs and sags easily. When rolling it on, I really had to use very little paint to keep it from making a mess. I’m a little concerned about how long it takes to cure. After 10 hours, some of the thicker sags were still too soft to sand. It says recoating is possible after 8-24 hours, so obviously 8 hours isn’t long enough, and this was a perfect day to paint – low humidity, temps in low 70s, clear sky. It does level out very well, and the satin finish is going to look much better than a high gloss for this imperfect surface. Really though, a flat white would have been best. It took me about an hour to paint the outside, and another hour for the interior. Incidentally, the instructions say this is for above the water line. . . We’ll see how it does.
We’ve got rain scheduled for the next several days, so it looks like final coating will have to wait at least until Friday or Saturday. Meanwhile, here are a few images of the dink with a new first coat.