Shipwright Harbor launched Cay of Sea early last week, and I’ve spent a few days getting things squared away. Among those items were cleaning, varnishing, cleaning, rigging, cleaning. . . Well, after 4 months closed up and cold, things were/are bit untidy. Yard time seems to make everything dirty, no matter what I do.
I visited Bacon Sails several days ago, and picked up a nice used headsail for $475. On Cay of Sea this will occupy 117% of the foretriangle, which is slightly larger than we had before. The extra sail area is welcome of course, but more than that a sail that is in good shape and will set well will help a lot. It’s also worth noting that there is no compromise in the shape of the sail to accommodate roller furling. I’m going to enjoy the extra bit of efficiency I get. This sail also features a reefable foot. I can take 3 feet out of the foot of the sail, which will drop the sail area down to below 100%. I will also get another smaller sail eventually, and would have last week, but Bacon Sails didn’t have an appropriate sail in their inventory at that time.
I got lucky and also found a deck bag (in their huge bin of unwanted canvas items) that was the right color and right size. $65, and it’s in pretty good shape. I will get turn-buttons to close the back of the bag (it currently has UV-ruined Velcro) and sew a loop on the back as well, so that I can lift it off the deck with the halyard.
Figuring out halyards, new sheets, and a downhaul took a couple of hours. Then the trial hoist of the sail – it fit perfectly, allowing for stretch of the luff – I was very pleased with the sail and stowage.
I’ve also begun the spring varnish routine, and will need to add several coats to this preliminary sanding/coating applied today.