Sta-Lok Installation Update

I was dissatisfied with the second fitting I installed. For a reason I couldn’t understand, the stud end of the fitting wouldn’t accept as many threads as the eye fitting had. Here are photos to illustrate:

The body has been filled with sealant (Boatlife polysulfide caulk), and the threads of the body are treated with Lock-tight to prevent galling and secure the fitting against working loose.

Here’s the eye fitting. Only three threads showing after assembled.

DSC_4316

Here’s the stud end. 5-6 threads showing. That means only 3-4 were captured. I was uncomfortable with that, especially since the other one assembled so smoothly.

I took the fitting apart and reformed the uneven threads around the cone. Reassembly was not really any better. I took it apart again and looked into the other end. There is a “former” that inserts into the female side of the fitting. That former was skewed to one side, which prevented the end of the cone-shaped wire side to seat evenly and snugly.  After a few more minutes of prying the former around with a tiny screw driver, I captured the stud into the vice (with wood blocks to keep from damaging the stud threads), and gently tapped the high side of the former with a mallet/screw driver. It unjammed immediately, and I was able to seat symmetrically into the bottom of the female side. Here’s a photo of the former from StaLoc’s website:

You can't see it in this photo, but there is a hole in the middle of the bottom of the cup, which is where the core of the wire lands.

You can’t see it in this photo, but there is a hole in the middle of the bottom of the cup, which is where the core of the wire lands.

This shape fits perfectly into the bottom of the female-threaded side of the fitting, and “forms” the wire around the end of the cone insert. Once I had the former seated, the fitting went together perfectly.

Here it is, replete with sealant squeezing out the top, and red Locktite on the threads.  Note that there are only 3-4 threads showing between halves of the fitting.

Here it is, replete with sealant squeezing out the top, and red Locktite on the threads. Note that there are only 3-4 threads showing between halves of the fitting.

Advertisements
4 comments
  1. Boty, nice work there Rick! This is the mark of an experienced professional: observant and with keen attention to detail.

    • Thanks again, Bob. Honestly, it’s the product of a personality trait in which I constantly second-guess myself. Sometimes it pays off, other times not so much. But this time it was mostly concern over safety and “rig robustness.”

  2. Nice catch Rick. , I know nothing about rigging whatsoever so this has been very interesting!

    • For me, rigging is one of the “black arts” of sailing – sort of like celestial navigation. Lots of very specific knowledge and skills to acquire. Good thing we have riggers as close as a phone call.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: