The deed is done, but not without surprises. Good news – I’m alive and unhurt, and didn’t have a panic attack. Here’s how the trip shaped up:
Strapping into the chair, loading the pockets (didn’t need the canvas bags after all). was just a bit of organizing, mostly done already because of the work I’d done yesterday.
Ended up feeling completely secure in the chair, so I didn’t tie a halyard onto my harness. On deck, I briefed the process and work list with my crew (Ruth, and my friend Frank from down the pier). Then stepped into the line ascender. . . and went no place. Turns out the jaws were one size too large (though I had tested it before – tension causes the line to stretch and thin) to grip the line effectively. I’ll have to install a new cam cleat on it that works with smaller line. Instead, I ascended the old-fashioned way, with Frank on the winch, and me scooting up with hands and legs as he cranked.
Arriving at spreader-height, I seized the shrouds to the spreaders with wire. I was getting ready to simply tape the boots in place, when Frank suggested I take a precaution against UV damaging the tape and releasing the boots. He recommended lashing them on with waxed twine, then taping. That’s what I did, but needed a supply run via the flag halyard for twine and bee’s wax.
After slotting the port shroud, I found it difficult to set the starboard side with arm power alone. Legs are stronger than arms, and longer too. Worked just fine.
Done with spreaders and shrouds, I moved up one foot, and installed a bulb in the deck lamp. Ruth tested the circuit and we determined that worked. It’s missing a lens, knocked off by a random halyard slap at one point, so I put a piece of rigging tape across the lamp, hoping that would make it more difficult to knock out in the future. It really needs a wire cage, or guard to protect it.
After a short break, it was on to the masthead. Here I installed new blocks and halyards, un-installed an old block I didn’t trust and the halyard that ran through it. I disconnected the top end of the old headstay with luff extrusion attached. I knotted the old halyard through the eye, and let it down on deck, where Ruth and Frank caught it. What I discovered regarding fitting sizes is the topic of another post. Very interesting, to say the least. I have questions that need researching, because while there appeared to nothing inherently unsafe about the hardware, I didn’t expect it to be (mis)sized the way it was. Perhaps my expectations are wrong, here.
All work at the masthead was finished, excepting for inspecting the fittings. I carefully inspected everything, and discovered a cracked tang on the starboard cap shroud. Since port and starboard tangs are attached with the same bolt (through the mast), it is not possible to safely replace the fitting with the mast upright. The rig has got to come down this winter.
Ultimately, it appears that all of this could have been done with the rig on the ground, but I didn’t know that. Anyway, there was very little expense besides time, that was wasted. Just an 1.5 hours in the bosun’s chair installing gear that had to be replaced anyway. I also now have the advantage of working on the furler at my house instead of the boat yard. I have not had the rig down in 4.5 years, and it turns out that was one year too long. Should have had it down last winter and thoroughly gone over it all, especially considering that I’ve had a couple of little rigging problems this year. I think a thorough going over could have averted those alarming situations. Fortunately there was no damage due to failure. And here’s the lesson: I just have to spend the money to pull the rig every fourth year. This is the safe and common-sense way to proceed.