I fabricated ply-veneer hole covers for the fastener holes in the overhead yesterday. A bit muddle-headed, I had to cut several of them twice, as I misunderstood my own measurements, and the resulting shapes didn’t cover the holes. Undeterred by incompetence, I kept cutting wood until I had enough sawdust to mix with resin, press into a mold, and fashion the covers that way.
. . . Not really.
I just cut the pieces again until I had the shapes and dimensions correct.
My next display of incompetence was evident in the drilling of holes. I couldn’t seem to think far enough ahead of the process to position the fastener holes (that hold the covers against the overhead) in places where there was material and not void (remember, I’m trying to cover big holes in the overhead). Well, now I have a couple of extra screw holes in two of the cover panels, but they are very small and not noticeable unless you look too carefully. Or are too critical. Anyway, here are the photos:
Now that I’ve finished them bright, I wonder if they would be better painted white? Less noticeable, I imagine. Any opinions from readers out there?
Years ago, I owned a succession of Volkswagen Beetles and a 1970 Transporter. As did many VW owners, I became adept at maintenance tasks like installing brakes, tuning up the engine, removing and replacing the engine(s), installing clutches, etc.. I also became proficient at adjusting valves, and it turns out that this skill is useful for maintaining marine diesel engines. I had the valves checked and adjusted in about 30 minutes today. The next task was messier, but not difficult – new fuel filters for primary and secondary circuit. I’ve been amazed at how easy the Yanmar 2gm20f is to prime and bleed. It just isn’t very sensitive to little fuel feed problems, which makes it very easy to get running again after the fuel system has been opened up.
Finally, I put everything away, closed up the boat, and scrubbed the decks with a deck brush and cloth. I am always gratified at how well she cleans up.