You can read my First Year and Mid-Second Season report on Hydrocoat here.
Cay of Sea was hauled for the winter 2 days ago. The boat yard manager gave me a call while she was in the slings, so I ran over there with my camera for a couple of quick photos of the bottom paint – I’d hoped to get there before they power-washed the hull, but I can’t seem to communicate that to the yard manager – he called me just after it was washed. Oh well, I got a verbal report from the power-wash guy. He said I had one barnacle, and a pretty thick coating of slime.
One barnacle! End of second year, and I’ve got only one. Hydrocoat doesn’t seem to repel the slime at all – not sure any paint is very effective on slime, except the very slick, polished stuff, but I’m more than happy about it keeping the hard growth at bay.
There were a few more chips in the paint this year – I scrub-brushed it twice this year, so it’s possible that I’m wearing off the paint, or slightly damaging it when I scrub. Here are some photos of the bottom:
So, I think I’ll try for one more year without recoating the entire hull. Touching up the chips, and recoating the rudder may hold me through the next year. If the paint fails sometime mid-season, next year, I can’t complain. I’m happy with two seasons, and it looks like I can squeak three out of it. Pretty impressive, in my book.