Hinges are hard.
This week I discovered that I didn’t understand how hinges fit onto cabinet doors. I discovered this 4 times. Four separate trips to the hardware store for hinges, buying, returning, reevaluating, coming home with different hinges to try. I wanted to avoid using a piano hinge screwed into the end-grain of the plywood doors, and I wanted the hinge to be on the inside – hidden from view when the cabinet was closed. Anytime you can avoid screwing into end grain. . . Anyway, I finally realized that the lowly piano hinge screwed into end-grain was going to be the only answer, apart from redesigning the doors. I also realized that the reason a piano hinge will work okay is that there are 10 little screws that fasten it to the end-grain. 10 little fasteners that hold moderately well, are as good as two larger fasteners that hold really well. So I used a piano hinge, and it’s going to be fine. Here are a few pics of the doors mounted.
I have a piece of oak trim of the correct dimension that I’ll cut down to a narrower breadth. This will nicely cover all the gaps and imperfect finish where the saw chipped the veneer. I also have some teak decking that could be re-milled to the appropriate dimension. Hmm. . . that would match the saloon finish better than the oak. Not sure what I’ll do yet. Re-milling pieces that small comes with some safety risks. Even with pushers and holders to run the stock through the saw, it’s difficult to get it right. I’ll have to think about it some more.