As I pursue my ideal of “a place for everything, and everything in its place” I’ve finally addressed the need for a navigation, or operations locker. This locker will contain most of what is needed to pilot the ship. While chart stowage needs to be addressed separately, the little bits and pieces of piloting tools need to be contained much better than they have been. Accordingly, I set out to pattern and build a locker for these things: hand-held GPS, hand-bearing compass, pencils and pens, log book, binoculars, dividers, parallel rules, ship’s documents, engine keys, and VHF radio. I began with cardboard. . .
I spent a good while debating if I should follow the curve of the bulkhead on the port side, or just build a rectangular shape. As I got into the project, I’m glad I chose the rectangular shape. It’s complicated enough trying to get a front face that is perpendicular, rather than sloping forward like the bulkhead.
The back is pictured above. I know, there are similar holes in the front of the mock-up – I was just recycling cardboard at that point. The hole is in the back to accommodate the depth sounder head. The chase for cabling is marked on the board in pencil.
Attempting to do a neat job, I’ve cut rabbets in the side pieces to hide the end grain of the birch ply.
The beveling was difficult, due to the fact that my tools don’t do this easily. I think there was a way to do this with a plane, but I’ve never tried to plane the end grain of plywood. It didn’t seem like the best way to proceed. This bevel was cut with a hand-held circular saw. If I built more than one locker like this, I would know to do the initial cuts at the correct angle of bevel, and avoid recutting to achieve the bevel. However, unless I completely make a mess of this locker, it will be a one-off sort of project. I’ll know next time I build something that requires a bevel. . .
I cut two pieces for the bottom, and completely missed the dimensions the first time. The photo above represents the second (successful) attempt. It’s always best to cut the dimensions a bit large, then trim to fit. I learned that just yesterday! This piece was glued and clamped – no nails due to the 1/4″ dimension of this piece.
I cut and fitted the top. Several times. Just couldn’t seem to pay attention to my measurements. Anyway, I finally got it right. I’ll set all the nail heads on the sides and fill them before applying a finish.
Okay – enough of amateur woodworking for one day. We also went sailing late in the afternoon when the temps had dropped down into the 80s. Perfect sailing 3.5 miles out and back with winds 10-15. We turned 5+ knots the entire time. And we also saw this yacht, which I think you’ll enjoy looking at. We certainly did.
Cheers! Hope you got to sail this weekend.