A thousand little projects seem to be on the list, but I’ve come closer to wrapping up a couple started – unbelievably – a couple of months ago.
Warm weather has ensured good luck with epoxy curing, and I’ve finished, broken, and remade the lamp bracket – which required epoxy for success. I never do anything right the first time, and the lamp bracket was no exception. First of all, check this photo of the bracket from my last post. Notice anything special about the grain of the wood?
Yeah, see how the grain runs across the narrow section of the bracket? That creates a weak spot. I didn’t realize that until I broke it across there with the slightest of effort. So, here is what I did to fix it:
The new board you see glued up was to be the new bracket oriented with the grain running the other way. Then I had a truly inspired idea: what if I glued the new on top of the old (repaired) bracket? That would be very strong indeed, with no tendency to break across the narrow dimension. That’s what I did. Here it is installed.
You can see the two layers of wood here, and it is very secure. I visited with my hardware store only twice to get the fasteners sized correctly, but managed to mount it and varnish it twice.
I think I’m going to install a heat shield on the bulkhead behind the lamp. I don’t know if the bulkhead is going to get hot or not, but there is no need to take a chance.
Fiddle for Stove
The one new fiddle was mounted, and the old ones were moved to the appropriate place, then varnish applied. I have purchased bungs to fit in all the holes, but I’ve misplaced the plastic bag they came in… so eventually, when I find the bag, I’ll bung the screw holes too.
I realize now that I should have photographed the old hatch risers. They were a good design, but the plastic was at the end of its life. I’ve glued both of them back together twice, and they eventually break out again. The plastic was so brittle that it wouldn’t tolerate any extra load. So I acquired a new/old bronze riser from Bacon’s. I later realized that it is actually a windshield riser, so the height that I can raise the hatch is a bit limited. However, it does work, and it is very solid. It was a pain to mount, which I had to do twice because the first time it was in the wrong place – limited by the excess riser bar that had to go somewhere, when there was no room for it. Here’s a pic:
I’ll paint the wood mounting block black.