With the outside of the boat finished and the water pump installed, my next step was to test-run the engine. I provided a constant water supply by running a garden hose into a 5 gallon bucket. I then placed the extended water pick-up hose in the bucket as well. I had a couple small problems starting the engine, but learned once again that success is more assured if the ground wire to the starter is connected to the battery. Following that, I was reminded that the throttle lever is the short stick in the cockpit, not the long one… Once I relearned which was which, and that I needed to advance the throttle for starting in cooler conditions, I had no problems with getting the engine to run.
I also found that I had to elevate the bucket by six inches so that the pump wouldn’t have to develop so much vacuum to pick up water. The slight leak at the taped joint doesn’t do the water pump any favors either. After that, cooling water flowed at idle and the engine ran great.
The interior of the boat was completely filthy with tools scattered all over, trash not thrown away, grime everywhere. I spent much of Saturday cleaning up, carrying away trash and tools, and reorganizing lockers. Take a look at my earlier post for photos. Below are the ‘after’ photos.
Ah, feels good to have order and cleanliness restored. Several small projects still to complete, including installation of the new stove and new forehatch riser.