I feel like I’ve been doing this bottom project all winter, and it might never end. However, it’s beginning to look like I’ll make my launch date of 1 April. The bottom is painted with 3 coats of Hydrocoat – which surprises me. I expected to cover the bottom only twice with two gallons. However, with a smooth surface to cover there is a lot less surface area to actually fill. When the surface texture is rough, it takes more paint. Also, I’ve never used Hydrocoat before, so I didn’t know for sure how it would apply. So far so good. It goes on really well, and cleans up easily too. Much easier than using a solvent-based paint (Hydrocoat is water-based). We’ll see how it does through the season, and I’ll report back on its performance.
I had the boat yard guys move the stands so I could sand under the pads. I then taped and painted the first coat. Here is a photo of the exposed stand area, and the first coat. I’ve finished painting and pulled the tape, but you get the idea.
Collateral damage is that the inside of the boat where I stored the tools during the process is a disaster area. I can’t wait to clean this up.
Boot stripe is next. The labor-intensive part of painting the boot stripe is taping off. Twice (above and below). I estimate 1.5 hours just for taping.